Spanish Captain Carlos Puyol to miss Euro 2012


Barcelona defender and Spainish Captain Carlos Puyol Wednesday conceded that he won’t recover from his knee injury in time to represent defending champions Spain in the Euro 2012 Football Championships.
Puyol will have an operation on his right knee Saturday and the estimated six weeks recovery time means he will not be fit to help Spaindefend their title in the competition which kicks off June 8 in Poland and Ukraine.
“I think it is complicated, I have to wait and see what the doctors say, but I think it is impossible and there will be other players who are in better shape than I am and it would not be fair to take someone who is not 100 percent fit,” Puyol was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
The 34 year-old suffered knee problems last season and has struggled for fitness during the current campaign. Puyol said he was surprised at the injury, which he first noticed after last Saturday’s 4-0 win against Espanyol.
Carlos Puyol will miss his 100th cap in Euro 2012 
“I didn’t have any problems, but at the end of the game, I felt something in the back of my knee. I rested Sunday and Monday I underwent tests after which the doctors told me the best thing was an operation,” he explained. On the prospect of missing both the Copa del Rey final and Euro 2012, Puyol said: 'It's frustrating to miss these two competitions. The cup final is the nicest game of the year because of the atmosphere.
'If this had happened when I was younger it would've been worse but I see things in a different way now I'm 34. I hope to help from off the pitch and enjoy this final.'
Carlos Puyol will not end his international Career
Puyol has made 99 appearances for Spainand the injury raises the question as to whether or not he will continue his international career after the summer.
The defender had previously considered retiring from international football after the 2010 World Cup, but was continueon request by Spain coach Vicente del Bosque.
“If afterwards I can reach 100 caps then I would be delighted. I will see how I recover and then I will speak to the coaches. I want to retire on a football pitch and not in an operating theatre,” said Puyol. The loss of Puyol is to be a major blow to the world and European champions, who begin the defence of their title against Italy on June 10.
Spain boss Vicente Del Bosque will announce a provisional squad on May 15 which will then be whittled down when the final party is confirmed on May 27.

Posted by Unknown on 12:57 AM. Filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

0 comments for "Spanish Captain Carlos Puyol to miss Euro 2012"

Leave a reply